Defence and Ocean partnering to solve complex maintenance operations
In late 2019 Ocean was invited to tour a military explosive ordinance maintenance organisation to investigate whether a modern digital solution could assist with the planning, optimisation, decision–support and reporting required for their future growth. Ocean was selected given its enduring pedigree of providing modern fit-for-purpose digital products into Defence’s complex operating environments.
The facility ensures its weapon systems are continuously certified to meet the readiness and preparedness directives of Command for both training and operational purposes. To meet the current demand and exponentially growing throughput needs, the organisation required the solution to achieve the following.
- Streamline forward planning; days to years in advance.
- Capturing the status and milestones of work packages applied to each weapon system.
- Safety assurance of its specialised people, complex weapon systems, certified equipment and facilities.
- Dashboarding, reporting and optimisation insights from tracking the operational throughput throughout the organisation.
Given the requirement for scalability and the software being delivered as a holistic service, the customer required a trusted, off the shelf cloud platform that would meet its sovereignty, privacy and security needs. Given their unique operations, the customer required a collaborative partner that could develop the required customisations iteratively, as they progressed.
For Defence, it was an easy choice of Ocean’s next generation cloud platform SmartBase™ MRO. This recent COTS platform underpins Ocean’s product and technology expertise and is tailored for complex maintenance operations. SmartBase™MRO provides intelligent resource management for superior insight across any maintenance industry, providing the following user driven experiences:
- Automated workflows for quick planning and execution
- Visually drag and drop across simple interfaces
- Real time visibility dependant on user role of people, resource and operational status
- Role based security and user management
- Designed for interoperability across multiple systems
The Defence organisation has since partnered with Ocean to contribute to our ongoing SmartBase™MRO roadmap, ensuring continuous optimisation as the organisation significantly increases throughput. The partnership allows the organisation to work closely with Ocean’s product team using agile principles, ensuring the right features are delivered to the right users. This is done using 3 of Ocean’s key customer principles.
- Prioritise highly valued capability – coupled closely with our customers, our product teams undertake an ongoing customer journey, mapping the features and prioritising based on value and effort.
- Customer Unity – Participation through the iterative process enables accuracy and focus of what is important. These involves collaborative design workshops and showcasing working software prior to release.
- Flexibly Pivot – requirements evolve and intent might not always meet operational user experience. The ability to evaluate, pivot and re-prioritise is critical for any enduring capability.
To achieve the above principles Defence continues to participate in weekly short sessions as the features being built expand into other areas of interest to Defence such as currency management, training and optimisation through machine learning and artificial intelligence. Despite CV19, these sessions occur virtually with no hindrance to output. Further, the SAAS cloud solution continuously evolves from Ocean’s investment back into its products.
Viji John, who led Ocean’s engagement within Defence described challenges often faced when acquiring and enhancing digital capabilities within the current threat vectors:
Ocean Software is a global software provider supporting customers from various industries, including over a dozen militaries. Its credibility, capacity and products continue to evolve in line with customers and technology. Its products meet the needs of industries with specialised workforces operating complex equipment in high pressure and evolving environments who need to stay ahead of future organisational impacts.